Bringing Home Poppy: Birth Day!

18 July, 2017

Finally I was 39 weeks pregnant and it was time to meet our baby girl! I had just found out a few days earlier that my doctor would be out of town on my scheduled c-section date and that we would be moving up the surgery to 7/7/17.
 
The morning FINALLY arrived (after not being able to sleep 2 nights in a row), and we got ready, packed up the car, dropped Hayes off at his Mimi's house, and began our trip to the hospital. I noticed a missed call and a voicemail from the hospital. The hospital was apparently FULL and there were no rooms available for my scheduled surgery. I would have to go home and wait until they called me. "Hopefully" they would be able to get me in sometime that day, the message said.
 
Keep in mind I had not eaten in 12 hours at this point and they threatened that if I ate or drank anything, they would for sure not be able to perform my surgery. I was a wreck, to say the least. I was so sure I was about to meet my baby girl in just a couple hours and now they didn't know if they could get me into the hospital AT ALL that day! If they couldn't, who would do my surgery?! Dr. Bailey would be out of town for the next TWO+ weeks and I'm sure Poppy wasn't going to wait on her to get back.
 
I couldn't hold back my tears. It was such an emotional punch to the gut! I guess even the most scheduled of deliveries still can't be guaranteed to go as planned. Luckily, the hospital called just a little while later telling me to come on in.
 
 
 
The weirdest part of it all was that there really weren't any Labor & Delivery rooms available. They weren't kidding. They did all of my surgery prep in the recovery room right outside the OR, where moms are bonding with their babies. I was literally in a corner, in a makeshift L&D room. But I didn't care! I was going to meet my baby soon!
 


Proud daddy waiting to meet his daughter in our makeshift L&D room.
 
Between my amazing Labor and Delivery nurse, awesome anesthesiology team, and my wonderful OBGYN, my nerves disappeared (after that dreaded epidural/spinal of course... that part was still SUPER OOGIE) and we were able to chit chat and joke while I was on the table.
 
At 10:36am, Miss Poppy Monroe Dunaway was born weighing 7lbs 4oz and 19.5 inches long.
 
 
 

 



 

 
 
When we made it to our Postpartum room, Hayes was our first visitor. He was so excited to finally see this baby we had talked about for so long. He knew exactly who she was, yelling out, "Baby Poppy!" and "Sissy!" when he saw her.
 
 
I wish I had a better picture of him in his Big Brother scrubs. He was TOO cute.
 


 
 
 
After 3 nights in the hospital, we were discharged to go home. Just like when I had Hayes, I was so ready to get out of that room by day 4.
 
Recovering from Hayes' C-section was awful, super painful, and I ended up back in the hospital due to infection. This time was SO different. I was walking great and doing most things for myself.
 
 
 
Miss Poppy did NOT like her first experience in the car seat.
 

 
 
Here we are, 11 days into being a family of 4, I'm recovering well (minus a little UTI caused by my catheter from surgery), and we are all adjusting to our new life with Poppy. She is growing growing growing and gained back to her birth weight in 5 days, thanks to her being an eating machine.
 
We love you, baby girl, and we can't imagine life without you and your sweet face!

Post a Comment

Best of the Week