Poppy Monroe: Month One Update

31 August, 2017



Considering the fact that Poppy is 8 weeks old when I'm writing this, my memory might be a little foggy and my facts might be a little skewed. But I'll do my best to remember everything as accurately as possible! 

I got her a baby book from the same shop I got Hayes' baby and toddler books from. It's called Polka Dot Print Shop and this is my 4th book from them. I also have a Bump Book where I recorded my pregnancy this time around. Anyway, luckily I have this book to refer back to because the 1st month is already a blur.





During Poppy's 2nd & 3rd week, she became super fussy and refused to sleep at night. I think she had her days and nights mixed up. It was awful. We (yes, Justin would wake up with me) would be awake sometimes from midnight to 4am because she wouldn't sleep between her feedings and cry anytime we put her down. 

The days were great, because she slept through them. I was starting to DREAD evenings because I knew the awful nighttime routine was coming. Thank the Lord that Hayes stayed such a good sleeper through all of this. I don't know what I would do if I had two awake all night.

Suddenly as she approached 1 month old, she started staying awake for longer periods during the day and started sleeping at night. This, however, meant she was crying and screaming during the day instead. Unless she was being held and rocked and patted on the butt, of course. It was exhausting. Especially because this was around the time Justin went back to work and I was on my own with a crazy fussy baby. I was beginning to feel carpal tunnel symptoms in my hands/wrists/arms from the constant patting/bouncing/rocking. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'm so not kidding!






Meanwhile, she was eating great, but spitting up HUGE amounts after and between every feeding. I thought we just got lucky with Hayes, because he slept well and never spit up. While this girl was pretty much puking half her meal up 10 times a day.

Between the crying (really, screaming) and spitting up (really, puking) I decided it was time to get her pediatrician involved. At her last check up I had mentioned the spitting up, but the doc wasn't concerned, as it's normal for babies to spit up and Poppy never seemed like she was in pain after it happened. 

At about 5 weeks old, I took her in to see her pediatrician. Long story short, they ran a test on the poop in her diaper and it was discovered that she had blood in her stool, caused by an inflamed gut. Her doctor explained that this is usually caused by a milk protein sensitivity. The milk proteins come from any dairy product that I consume, since she's exclusively breastfed. She explained how Poppy's inflamed gut would be the reason she's crying out in such pain all of the time. 

I was upset that I didn't realize her cries were those of pain.

I was told that it's not lactose intolerance, or even an allergy YET, and if I stop feeding her anything with the milk protein in it, she should grow out of this sensitivity. So there's hope that she will know the miracle that is Blue Bell Ice Cream one day!!!

In the meantime, I have gone to the extreme and cut everything that contains milk in it from my diet. You'd really be surprised what kind of foods contain milk. Basically all the good ones. Haha.

But I'm happy to report that her temperament has changed COMPLETELY and for the better. I'll go into how she's done since then in my 2 month post.








More Poppy Month One tidbits:

She still has blue eyes. I know they can still change, but I'm really hoping they stay this pretty denim blue color forever. The photos below don't do them justice.

We packed up the Newborn sized clothes and diapers right at 1 month old.

Her feet are huge. I know that's subjective, but Justin and I both feel like they're giant. He's convinced Poppy will take after his PawPaw and be super tall.










I've been asked, and I will say it again. I LOVE love love the DockATot. I wish we had it when Hayes was a baby. It makes life with a newborn just a little easier! She naps in it and sleeps the second part of the night between Justin and I. It's more of a convenience thing for me so I don't have to get up again in the middle of the night to put her in the bassinet.





With a big brother and two big boy cousins, this little girl had been toughen up and get ready to play rough!



I ordered birth announcements recently and I'm still waiting on them to arrive in the mail. Once I get them out, (hoping to do so before her first birthday!!) I'll post our newborn photo shoot pictures. I'm really excited to share them.

1 comment

  1. I'm so glad she is doing better! You're probably feeling better yourself - without dairy?!

    ReplyDelete

Best of the Week